The original Freek's Mill, in 1784, was located at what is today the corner of Union
and Nevins streets. At the time, the area was farmland and the Gowanus Canal, then
called the Gowanus Creek, was a tidal inlet full of natural oyster beds.
The name Freek's Mill references a time when people in the area not only knew
where their food came from, but also where it was processed.
The design of the restaurant pulls from the industrial history of the Gowanus Canal.
While the factories led to its current condition, it was an important time in our
nation's history, and supported many of the families who still live in Carroll
Gardens, Boreum Hill and Park Slope today.
Our food represents the origins of the canal and aims to push us as a society to get
back to a place where we too know where our food comes from. The food we serve,
clearly not from the canal or its long gone farms, comes wherever possible from the
growers we know and love, who cultivate food based on taste and sustainable